Focused on protecting workers.
Kathleen J. England
Kathleen J. England
Ms. England's current law practice is devoted to representing victims of discrimination and sexual violence. Early in her career, she developed expertise in fire cause and origin and engineering cases and was twice appointed by the federal court to co-chair the Defendants' Settlement Committee in the MGM Grand Fire Litigation. Ms. England's clients have won substantial federal verdicts in employment cases against NV Department of Prisons, SAKS and Clark County Department of Aviation. She has represented Nevada legislators in election challenges and redistricting suits, and has served as a legal advisor for a number of state and federal campaigns, including voter protection efforts.
Ms. England began her law career as a law clerk for the Las Vegas City Attorney's Office in 1978, becoming a Deputy City Attorney after passing the Nevada bar in 1979. She entered private practice in 1982 with the storied Nevada firm of Vargas & Bartlett and has since worked for a number of law firms, including her own in her 38 year legal career in Nevada.
Ms. England's other activities reflect her commitment to her community. She has served on the boards of Planned Parenthood, Frontier Girl Scouts and The Shade Tree Shelter. Las Vegas Mayor Jan Jones appointed Ms. England as the first chair of the Las Vegas Ethic's Review Board. In 1986, Ms. England helped establish the Young Lawyers Section of the Nevada Bar, and has been active in many sections of the ABA and NELA for many years. In 1989, the Nevada Supreme Court appointed her to its Gender Bias Task Force. Ms. England has also represented Nevada on many national boards and organizations. She has served on the boards of the Southern Nevada Association of Women Attorneys, the Clark County Bar Association and the Nevada Inns of Court. In 1993, the Supreme Court appointed her to its Character & Fitness Committee, which she later chaired. The Nevada Supreme Court appointed her to its Article Six Commission and Records Sealing Commission. In 2001, she was elected to the Nevada State Bar Board of Governors where she served for ten years. In 2009-2010, Ms. England served as president of the Nevada Bar.
Ms. England is a frequent speaker and CLE panelist on civil rights and employment discrimination. She has testified in the Nevada legislature on employment discrimination, reproductive rights and women's health and safety. In 2001, In Business magazine named her one of the "Most Influential Women" in southern Nevada. For the last 17 years, she has been honored as one of the "Best Lawyers in America." She has won many awards, including ones from the VV Chamber of Commerce, Southern Nevada Women's Political Caucus, Soroptomist International, Nevada Trial Lawyers, Planned Parenthood, and the AFL-CIO.
Ms. England received her Juris Doctor from Suffolk University Law School. She graduated cum laude from Michigan State University.
- Civil Rights
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court District of Nevada
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- First Chair of the Las Vegas Ethic’s Review Board
- Boards of the Southern Nevada Association of Women Attorneys
- Boards of the Clark County Bar Association
- Boards of the Nevada Inns of Court
- Appointed to Character & Fitness Committee, Supreme Court, 1993
- Appointed to Article Six Commission and Records Sealing Commission, The Nevada Supreme Court
- Elected to the Nevada State Bar Board of Governors, 2001
- Nevada Bar, President, 2009 to 2010
- Suffolk University Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
- Michigan State University
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Las Vegas City Attorney’s Office in 1978, Law Clerk
- Deputy City Attorney, 1979
- Boards of Planned Parenthood
- Frontier Girl Scouts
- The Shade Tree Shelter
- In Business magazine named her one of the “Most Influential Women” in southern Nevada, 2001
- Honored as one of the “Best Lawyers in America.”
- VV Chamber of Commerce
- Southern Nevada Women’s Political Caucus
- Soroptomist International
- Nevada Trial Lawyers
- Planned Parenthood
- 2020 Mountain States Super Lawyers list
- 2019 Mountain States Super Lawyers list
- 2018 Mountain States Super Lawyers list
- 2017 Mountain States Super Lawyers list
- 2016 Mountain States Super Lawyers list
- 2015 Mountain States Super Lawyers list
- 2014 Mountain States Super Lawyers list
- 2013 Mountain States Super Lawyers list
- 2012 Mountain States Super Lawyers list
- 2011 Mountain States Super Lawyers list
- 2010 Mountain States Super Lawyers list
- 2009 Mountain States Super Lawyers list
- 2008 Nevada Super Lawyers list
- 2007 superlawyers.com Super Lawyers list