Toll Free Phone:
Ms. Howell is Counsel with Gilbert Employment Law, focusing on the representation of federal employees before the Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and representation of individuals undergoing federal background investigations related to their eligibility for access to classified or sensitive information. Her EEOC practice focuses on representing federal employees and agencies involving claims of employment discrimination on the basis of disability, gender, race, age, religion, and retaliation. Ms. Howell also represents employees and agencies in cases of whistleblower retaliation and adverse action challenges before the MSPB.
Prior to joining Gilbert Employment Law's Hawaii office [dba Gilbert & Smith], Ms. Howell was employed in the private practice of law for over 17 years handling a wide range of federal sector employment law matters. Prior to private practice, Ms. Howell completed a clerkship for an Administrative Law Judge at the Equal Employment Opportunity Administration (EEOC). While in law school, Ms. Howell worked as a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney for the King County Prosecutor's Office, Juvenile Division Trial Team. In this Third Year Practice, Ms. Howell handled all aspects of trial litigation and conducted sentencing hearings in bench trials for misdemeanor crimes. Prior to law school, Ms. Howell worked for the U.S. Office of Personnel Management's Investigations Division conducting security clearance investigations and adjudications.
Ms. Howell is a certified mediator and is a member of the Virginia Association of Trial Lawyers, the National Employment Lawyers Association-Hawaii Chapter, and the Hawaii Justice Foundation.
- Federal Security Clearance Adjudications
- Federal Public Trust Determinations
- Federal Suitability Determinations
- Seattle University of Law, Tacoma, Washington
- Juris Doctor
- Honors: Dean's List
- Honors: Dispute Resolution Board, Vice President
- Honors: Women’s Law Caucus Board
- Honors: Access to Justice Clinic
- Major: Labor and Employment law
- University of South Carolina
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts
- Honors: With High Honors
- Honors: Women’s Soccer team, All-SEC Scholar
- Virginia Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court District of Hawaii