Focused on protecting workers.
Thomas J. Gagliardo
Toll Free Phone:
Thomas J. Gagliardo
Tom Gagliardo has practiced labor and employment law in Maryland and the District of Columbia for more than 30 years, and is of counsel to Gilbert Employment Law. Immediately prior to working with the firm he was general counsel to American Federation of Government Employees Local 1923, which was then the largest local in the Federation. AFGE 1923 was the exclusive bargaining agent for more than 30,000 federal employees at agencies including the Social Security Administration, Veterans Administration Baltimore Medical Center, Centers for Medicare and Medicare and Medicaid Services, Department of Defense (including the U.S. Naval Academy and Ft. Meade), NASA Wallops Island, and U.S. Coast Guard Curtis Bay). In that role Tom represented employees in arbitration hearings and before the MSPB and EEOC.
Tom has lectured at continuing legal education programs sponsored by numerous bar associations, Georgetown University School of Law, National Institute for Legal Advocacy and the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. He is a past president of the Maryland Employment Lawyers Association (MELA), chair of the Maryland State Bar Labor and Employment Executive Council and executive board member of the Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association (MWELA). He was named MWELA Lawyer of the Year in 2000. He advocated successfully on behalf of MELA and MWELA to exempt compensatory damages from Maryland state income tax.
Tom is member of the Maryland and District of Columbia bars and is admitted to the U.S. Supreme Court, U.S. Courts of Appeal for the 4, 6, 11, District of Columbia and Federal Circuits and federal district courts in Maryland and D.C.
- Labor and Employment Law
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Maryland Employment Lawyers Association, Past President
- Maryland State Bar Labor and Employment Executive Council, Chair
- Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association, Executive Board, Member
- American Federation of Government Employees Local 1923, General Counsel
- MWELA Lawyer of the Year
- 2010 Maryland Super Lawyers list
- 2009 Maryland Super Lawyers list
- 2008 Maryland Super Lawyers list
- 2007 superlawyers.com Super Lawyers list